|Commit message (Collapse)||Author||Files||Lines|
.. a major configuration cleanup
... major enhancement of automake support.
... and it contains a *major* breakthough:
Automake support for libchip and libmisc *LEAF* directories.
To implement this I have used several nasty tricks
* The basical trick is to wrap an old Makefile.in's contents into a
Makefile.am and still continue to use (i.e include) the old
* Replaced each INSTALL_IF_CHANGE and INSTALL_VARIANT with make
* Add a gnu-make ifdef AUTOMAKE to main.cfg to avoid conflicts between
automake and RTEMS make rules
* Replaced each install:: and preinstall:: rule with make dependencies
* Replaced SUB_DIRS with SUBDIRS in all Makefile.ins (Automake
* Removed each manually added autoconf substitution which automake
This is not yet full automake support, because using the temporary
installation directory, preinstallation in general and building variants
are in contradiction to automake's basic working principles ...
... the new Makefile.ams work still somewhat clumsy
... nevertheless they work (quite well).
At first glance this patch is small, but
* it affects the whole configuration system.
* it opens the road to introducing automake to all Makefile.ins
currently not being under automake control.
JOEL> Does this remove or add any files?
Both, all Makefile.ins below libchip and libmisc get replaced with
Ralf Corsepius <email@example.com> which converted many
Makefile.in's to Makefile.am's. This added a lot of files.
This patch is an addition to "The big-patch"
* FIX: c/Makefile.am: bogus comment which changed the behavior of
* FIX: make/custom/ts_i386ex.cfg did not set HAS_NETWORKING correctly
(Me thinks it might have been me who added this bogus setting :-).
* NEW: removing make targets get, protos, debug_install, profile_install
* NEW: replacing clobber with distclean
* NEW: Reimplement distclean and clean as reverse depth first make
targets (adaptation to automake's behavior)
* NEW: removing RCS_CLEAN from make distclean (tools/build/rcs_clean is
still in - remove it?)
* NEW: "$(RM) Makefile" added to make distclean (adaptation to
* NEW: "$(RM) config.cache config.log" to CLOBBER_ADDITIONS in
[lib|exec|tests]/Makefile.in (adaptation to automake's behavior)
* NEW: "$(CLEAN_PROTOS)" removed (Not used anywhere)
* NEW: binpatch.c moved from i386 bsp tools to tools/build (AFAIS,
binpatch is not specific to the pc386 BSP at all)
* NEW: AC_EXEEXT added to all configure scripts which contain AC_PROG_CC
* NEW/Experimental: An experimental implementation of temporary
installation tree support in libbsp/i386/pc386/tools/Makefile.am, based
on dependency tracking with make, instead of applying INSTALL_CHANGE.
* This patch is small in size, but changes the behavior of "make
* This patch does not alter building/compiling RTEMS, ie. there should
be no need to rerun all "make all" building tests.
* make RTEMS_BSP="..." distclean in c/ runs "make distclean" in BSPs
subdirectories passed through RTEMS_BSP and in "c/." only, but does not
descend into other BSP subdirectories previously configured with
different settings of make RTEMS_BSP="...".
=> Workaround: always use the same setting of RTEMS_BSP when working
inside the build-tree.
* "make [distclean|clean]" do not clean subdirectories, which have been
configured at configuration time, but which are not used due to
make-time configuration (e.g. macros/networking/rdgb subdirectories).
This will problem will vanish by itself when migrating from make-time to
APPLYING THE PATCH
mv c/src/lib/libbsp/i386/pc386/tools/binpatch.c tools/build
patch -p1 < rtems-rc-19990709-2.diff
> * RTEMS's 'make depend' isn't a standard automake make target and is not
> supported in automake supported subdirectories.
This patch addresses a few minor issues and contains a few (minor)
preparations for automake.
* configure.in: Fix for handing c/src/tests subdirectory handling (FIX)
+ Add TARGET_SUBDIR and --with-target-subdir (preparation of future
enhancements for cross-compiling)
+ Activate RTEMS_ROOT handling (automake preparation)
* automake/*.am: replace comments "#" with "##" so that comments won't
get included into Makefile.in's anymore
* c/update-tools/* automake support (NEW)
* ./autogen update/enhancement (cf. ./autogen for details)
After applying this patch please run:
cvs add c/update-tools/configure.in
cvs add c/update-tools/Makefile.am
cvs add c/update-tools/aclocal.m4
* automake for *all* tool subdirectories (Makefile.am, configure.in etc.)
* autogen now also considers CONFIG_HEADER (generates stamp-h.ins and
* c/src/tests/tools/generic/difftest and
c/src/tests/tools/generic/sorttimes generated by configure scripts
* c/update-tools/ampolish, beautifier for Makefile.ams, similar to
* rtems-polish.sh added to c/update-tools/ + ampolish support
* New subdirectory ./automake, contains automake -Makefile fragments to
support RTEMS make "debug, debug_install, profile, profile_install" for
native Makefile.ams (== ignore these make targets).
* aclocal/rtems-top.m4's RTEMS_TOP now reads the automake makefile
variable VERSION from RTEMS ./VERSION file.
* ./configure.in uses the macros from aclocal + support for the tools'
* To run rtems-polish.sh, "cd <rtems-source-tree>;
* AFAIS, now all native subdirectories are converted to automake (Please
drop me a note, if I forgot something).
* Unless you notice something fatal, IMO the time has come for a public
try (== snapshot). I do not intend to send more automake related patches
within, say 2 weeks, to give these patches time to settle and to give me
some time to think on how to continue.
* The patch assumes installation to the new main installation directory