|author||Gedare Bloom <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2013-04-23 09:17:35 -0400|
|committer||Gedare Bloom <email@example.com>||2013-04-23 09:17:35 -0400|
README: Update README and INSTALL to try to be GNU'ish.
Diffstat (limited to '')
2 files changed, 8 insertions, 45 deletions
@@ -1,47 +1,4 @@
-See the file README.configure.
-UNCOMPRESSING .tgz FILES
-Many of the files found in this directory and its subdirectories
-are gzip'ed, tar archive files. These files have the ".tgz"
-extension. They were compressed with gzip version 1.2.4.
-Use a command sequence similar to the following to uncompress each
- gzcat FILE.tgz | tar xvof -
-where FILE.tgz is the file to be installed. This procedure will
-extract the files in the archive into the current directory.
-All of the .tgz files associated with this release RTEMS will
-place their contents in a subdirectory rtems-<release> in the current
-If you are unsure of what is in an RTEMS archive file, then use
-the following command sequence to get a listing of the contents:
- gzcat FILE.tgz | tar tvf -
-(1) The "-o" option to tar is included on the tar command line
- so that the user extracting the tar archive will own the extracted
-(2) gzcat is sometimes installed as zcat. Be warned that on many
- (most) UNIX machines, zcat is associated with compress (.Z files).
-(3) If you do not have gzip 1.2.4, it is available from numerous sites
- including this one. Other sites include ftp.gnu.org and ftp.cdrom.com.
-(4) The GNU archive files included in this distribution are packaged
- exactly like they are on official GNU ftp sites. When extracting
- GNU archives, they will not extract under a rtems-<version>
- directory. They will extract themselves under a directory which
- is the name and version of the tool in question. For example,
- gcc-2.5.8.tgz will extract its contents into the subdirectory
+See the documentation referred to in the README.
@@ -1,6 +1,10 @@
+This is the Real-Time Executive for Multiprocessing Systems (RTEMS).
+The version number for this software is indicated in the VERSION file.
See the documentation manuals in doc/ with daily builds available online at
http://rtems.org/onlinedocs/doc-current/share/rtems/html/ and released builds
+at http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs/releases/ for information on building,
+installing, and using RTEMS. The INSTALL file tells you to come back here.
See the RTEMS Wiki at http://wiki.rtems.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
for community knowledge and tutorials.
@@ -13,3 +17,5 @@ Get help on the mailing lists:
* For questions and discussion related to development of RTEMS, use the
rtems-devel ml: http://www.rtems.org/mailman/listinfo/rtems-devel
+See http://www.rtems.org/bugzilla/ to report a bug.